Guidance - Study Skills
Skip Navigation LinksHome > Guidance > Study Skills
- Have you ever lost points because you can't find a homework assignment that you
know you did?
- Have you ever been unable to study for a test because you forgot your materials
or book in school?
- Have you ever studied the wrong material or forgot about a test completely?
We probably have all experienced a few of these situations over the years. If these
problems happen to you frequently though, you likely need to sharpen up on
your study skills.
Study skills are not just about studying. Knowing how to organize yourself, and
how to organize your materials, is sometimes just as important as the time you spend
studying. If you can't find the papers you need, when you need them, you can't study!
The good news is that most bad habits in this area can be easily fixed with a little
effort on your part. No one can get you organized though, without you being an active
participant. The trouble is that most folks who have questionable organizational
skills, and poor time management, don't know how to get started.
Don't worry...your counselor can help! Over the years, we have seen what works and
what does not. We would be glad to give you some suggestions on how you can improve
in this area.
It is time to stop getting lower grades just because you are not organized, or not
sure how to manage a long-term project. Make this the year that you get organized
and turn it around!
Here are some areas covered by the term "Study Skills"
- How to Study
- Organizational Skills
- Time Management
- Homework/Assignment Log
- Maintaining Long-term Projects
- Why it is Important to Ask Your Teacher Questions
- Neat Work - Your Best Work
- Maintaining Your Papers/Work Assignments
Your counselor can give you some pointers on how you can improve better in these
areas. Remember, we can give suggestions, but you need to make it happen!